What is a Non-Monetary Issue?

A woman sits at a desk with a computer with her hands on her head in frustration.

The following article has been provided by the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA)

When there is an issue, a situation, or condition that affects the claimant’s benefits rights, the UIA must conduct an investigation. This is called a non-monetary issue.

What types of issues?

The issues vary, but many relate to whether the claimant quit or was fired or whether the claimant is immediately available for work. For example, during filing, certification, or other communication with the Agency, the claimant tells us they quit, got fired, refused work, received income, or some other issue which causes UIA to investigate the claimant’s eligibility for benefits. Another instance would be if an employer received notification of the claim filing and have submitted a protest to the claim. Their protest either informs UIA of a separation or questions the claimant’s availability or ability to work or failure to report earnings or employment status.

How long will it take to make a decision?

For those claims with open non-monetary issues, it generally takes about two weeks from the time the issue is detected to determine whether a claimant qualifies for benefits. Because of the high volume of claims as a result of COVID-19, it could take longer. Keep in mind that this is average and that each case has its own specific set of circumstances.

How are claimants notified that a decision has been made?

Check the Letters tab in your MiWAM account for Form UIA 1575C, Monetary (Re)Determination. When a claimant is allowed benefits, payment is issued at the same time for all the previous eligible weeks that were claimed. Check your MiWAM account for status updates and continue to certify bi-weekly as instructed.

UIA Director Steve Gray answers your questions about nonmonetary determinations and other Frequently Asked Questions here.

More information is available on the UIA website to guide you through the unemployment insurance process. Please check our website for frequently asked questions, video tutorials, and other information that may answer your questions.

Visit the Michigan.gov/coronavirus for the latest COVID-19 updates and resources from the State of Michigan.

Do you need assistance making ends meet? MI Bridges offers an easy to use application where you can apply for healthcare coverage, food and cash assistance, childcare assistance, and State Emergency Relief for housing, utility, and burial situations. MI Bridges also lists helpful state and local resources near you. You can apply for benefits from any computer or smartphone. Be sure to complete the entire application by answering all the questions, which will allow for quick and efficient processing of your application. Don’t wait, make a plan to go to www.mibridges.michigan.gov today.